Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Around the Cathedral

  With an hour to spare, Natalie and I decided to mosey around Christ Church Cathedral. Originally a housing a priory in 1522, we were so blown away by the absolute beauty of it that I took a lot of pictures and have attached them to their specific places in the Cathedral map. The pictures don't do it justice but I hope you enjoy!
This is the first area we went, immediately to the left.

Next we went to the "Latin Chapel" which was dedicated to the patron saint of Oxford.

These two chapels were separated by several tombs and a very unique sort of "watch tower" from which someone might keep watch of the relics of Oxford's patron saint.
This area is not officially named, but it was so pretty...I wanted to have this little section pictured.
 From the side chapels, you could enter the chancel by this gate.
The altar of this beautiful place of worship!
 Below is the back of the Cathedral viewed from the altar.

  To the right of the chancel stood the chapel of remembrance.
And these were the side doors we exited from.                        AH! It was so beautiful! I keep using that word over and over, but it was such an exciting exploration! Now I'll go back to sipping my hot tea...


No comments:

Post a Comment