Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Streets and Scandal



   At the beginning of our second week, I paused to take a look at how our time in Oxford has been. I know, they speak the same language we do. We are college students and we are at a university. How different can it be?
   Well, let me tell you. It is a different culture. And though I personally love it, today…we have been most definitely shocked.
Perhaps a surprising (a.k.a risqué) picture in the Sun which I was reading in a pub in Stratford should’ve been a clue. I brushed it off as a one-time occurrence…but now I’m second-guessing myself.
    Reading in a bookstore this afternoon, my eye caught sight of the Oxford student newspaper. I won’t go into detail, but the contents were shocking to say the least. Pictures, of course, accompanied. I actually don’t feel comfortable even repeating any of the article titles; it went a little farther than I can handle. Okay, more than a little. Obviously censorship is not quite the same in the UK. But hey, after reading it, we all had a great laugh!

   At don’t even get me started about the roads and traffic here. Our tour guide at the beginning of our time here told us, “Yeah, we get a lot of tourists that die crossing the streets.” We kinda laughed it off then, but been careful despite the fact that the British jaywalk as a hobby. Streets are almost made more for sidewalk overflow than vehicular traffic. And bicyclists? Extremely intrepid. Nevertheless, Natalie and I are actually considering joining their ranks. So watch out, Oxford.
   Despite the crazy news topics and traffic and strange pub names (perhaps that could be a blog post in and of itself?), I really do love this place. Really love it. The differences are fun to discover. Oxford is wonderful and I am enjoying this experience so much. Even the leave-nothing-unsaid newspapers. I’ll never forget that afternoon at the bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment